Veterinary surgeon (establishment)


If you wish to establish you as a veterinary surgeon or work permanently as a veterinary surgeon in Denmark, you must obtain an authorization from The Danish Veterinary and Food Administration.

You will need this:

If you are a veterinary surgeon with a diploma in veterinary science from another EU member state, you can apply for an authorization as a veterinary surgeon in Denmark by sending an application to the Danish and Veterinary Food Administration. There is no application form - you apply by submitting the documents listed below and the following information:

  • Your full name and address. In case the name is not identical with the one on your diploma, etc., documentation of name change must be attached.

  • Proof of your nationality, for example a copy of the relevant pages of your passport.

  • Copy of diploma or other evidence of qualification in accordance with Directive 2005/36/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council on the recognition of professional qualifications. The diploma should be in the original language – i.e. not translations, as the title on your diploma as well as the university must correspond exactly to the one listed in the directive for the relevant member state.

  • If your diploma as veterinary surgeon was obtained before a reference date, which is specified for each EU member state in Directive 2005/36/EC, a certificate must be submitted, issued by the competent authority in the country concerned, confirming that the applicant has pursued the profession as veterinary surgeon for at least three consecutive years during the five years prior to the certificate being issued.

  • Certificate of good professional standing no older than 3 months.

Applications may be submitted electronically via the "start"-button. You may also send your application by post to the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration. See contact details below.

If you wish to provide services on a temporary basis, please read more and apply via this link.