Services Contact Point

Services Contact Point

Temporary business in Denmark

If you carry out work on a short-term basis in Denmark you need to follow certain Danish rules.

If you are established as self-employed person or have a business in another EU or EEA country and wish to carry out temporary work in Denmark on a short-term basis, you can do so without establishing a business in Denmark. Whether your business activity can be considered as “short term”, will depend on the nature and duration of your work in Denmark.



The Danish Tax Agency can guide you on:

  • When and how to register for VAT

  • How to declare and pay VAT

  • When and how to deregister for VAT

Go to ‘Register and pay VAT’ to learn more about the Danish rules.




Apply for an EU residence document

Workers posted in Denmark for a period longer than 3 months must apply for an EU residence document at the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI) after arriving in Denmark and no later than 3 months after entering Denmark.

Additional rules may apply for workers who are citizens of a country outside the EU, the EEA or Switzerland.

Apply for an EU residence document


Working environment

As a foreign company in Denmark, you will have to follow Danish rules on working environment in the workplace. The Danish Working Environment Authority (WEA) is responsible for e.g. inspecting the working environment in Denmark.


Social security and workers compensation

If your company has employees that carry out work for your company in Denmark, you may be obliged to pay social security contributions to the Danish state under the Danish law.

Your employees will be subject to Danish social security Law, if it is not otherwise stated in EC regulation 883/2004 on the coordination of social security schemes or in conventions on social security Denmark has signed.


Close company or deregister duty

If you want to cease your foreign company in Denmark or deregister for duties such as for VAT, you have to fill in the form "Cessation of company or end of duty" if you do not have a Danish CVR-number and NemID.

We hope the guide was helpful

Please note that the guide is indicative. All steps may not be necessary for you just as additional registrations or requirements may apply to you.

Updated 24.08.2023